HRS Process Systems Ltd. have acquired exclusive rights by the way of license manufacturing agreement for design, manufacture, supply and service of Plate Heat Exchangers, with FUNKE Waermaustauscher GmbH! HRS Process Systems Limited is part of the HRS Group with headquarters in UK.
FUNKE GmbH, Germany, a company established for more than 35 years, having its presence world wide, is a leader in the development and production of quality heat exchangers with a heat transfer area of up to 2400 m2.
The range of products comprises plate heat exchangers - bolted and brazed as well as oil / air cooling units and other type of heat exchangers. Heat transfer plates in Funke Germany are manufactured with latest quality standards having a fully automatic press of capacity 15,000 Tons.
FUNKE focuses on customer orientation, highest quality standards, flexibility and advisory skills, important benefits a company of just the right size is able to offer.
Thus, as one of the few producers worldwide, FUNKE offers a wide range of plate heat exchanger (PHE) solutions with optimum thermodynamic designs for different industries and virtually all applications.
|Design of a Plate Heat Exchanger
||Technical Key Data (depending on design)
- Fixed plate
- Movable plate
- Support column
- Carrying bar
- Lower plate guide bar
- Carrier roller
- Tightening bolt and nuts
- Fixing bolts
- Rubber liner
- Heat transfer plates
- Name plate
|Capacity || 1KW - 30MW|
|Volume Flow || 5 m - 4500m|
|Surface/Plate || 0,04 m - 3,0 m|
|Nominal connection Diameter ||DN 25 - 500|
|Operating temperature || -20 C° - +180 C°|
|Working pressure max. || 25 bar|
|Design and Functions of Plate Heat Exchanger|
The heart of a PHE is a pack of embossed plates with apertures. The plates are assembled in a 180° angle to each other, resulting in flow gaps on each side. Each plate is provided with a gasket, which securely seals the flow gaps from the atmosphere and separates the two media used in the heat exchange.
The gasketed plate pack is mounted in a rack and is compressed with tightening bolts between the fixed plate and the movable plate. To guarantee maximum heat transfer, warm and cold media are normally fed through the PHE in one-pass or multi-pass counter flow.
Connections are on the fixed plate, but can also be on the movable plate for multipass flow.
Funke heat transfer plates are always produced in 1.4401 / AISI 316 as this material is generally more corrosion –resistant and more resistant to chloride damage than 1.4301/AISI 304. Depending on the design, Titanium is also available in serial production.
As an option, the following additional material may be used:
- 1.4301/AISI 304 (cost-effective in the case of uncritical media)
- 1.4539/AISI 904L (with high nickel content against stress corrosion cracking, good price/performance ratio in the case of media with the low acid and chloride content).
- 1.4529/254 SMO (higher chloride and acid - resistance than 1.4401/ AISI 316)
- Hastelloy (highly resistant against acids and chlorides, e.g. for concentrated sulphuric acid)
- Titanium ASTM B 265
- Titanium - Palladium (highest material quantity, suitable e.g. for chlorides at higher temperatures)
All gaskets are installed twice in the entry and exit area, creating a safety room which is open to the outside. It prevents the two media from mixing if the gasket leaks.
Depending on the design and the type, adhesive or nonadhesive (clip-system) gasket may be used. As sealing material, we use well known and tried and tested
materials such as:
- NBR (nitrile-butadiene rubber): Universal use for aqueous and unctuous media e.g. water/ oil applications.
- EPDM (ethylene-propylene rubber): Wide range of applications for many chemical compounds which do not contain mineral oil and grease, and for water-and steam application
- Flororubber (viton): Extremely resistant to chemicals and organics solvents as well as sulphuric acid and vegetable oil at high temperatures.
|Technical Advancement of Plate & Gasket|
- Very high heat transfer rates due to thermodynamically optimized design.
- Corrugation fields with "Off-Set" embossing allow for symmetrical and asymmetrical flow gaps (1).
- Specially embossed entry fields for an optimum distribution of media (2).
- Gaskets fastened by "Clip-system" for easy maintenance.
- Gaskets have a special ribbed surface, enabling more exact centering and stabilization of the entire plate pack (3).
- Double gasket with leakage groove between two media, preventing mixing of the media (4).
- Special plate profile at the edges, reinforcing the plate pack and ensuring high pressure resistance of the gasket during operation (5).
|Advantages of Plate Heat Exchangers (PHE)|
- Low investment, operation and maintenance costs.
- Highly efficient heat transfer (K- values on average 3-5 times higher than in case of bare-tube heat exchangers).
- Asymmetrical flow gap available for the most costeffective solution.
- Use of smallest temperature difference </= 1°C
- Up to 75% less space required.
- Self-cleaning effect due to highly turbulent flow behaviour
- Future additional capacity is possible by fitting extra heat transfer plates
- Double gasket with leak groove gives high safety with regards to media mixing.
- Easy to open/clean
- Low operating weight/ low liquid content.